Sophia & Stella Productions

For friends and family afar, a little blog about the kids and us.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

clarification

okay so the small print on the first blog post of the day is that I KNOW that the kids did not throw me into the abyss of crabbiness - that my poor ability to disengage and not give a shit, or learn better how to distract and such were really to blame. Well, no actually it was the hormones - I am a slave to my hormones and today they were not nice. Sadly caffeine does not soothe my hormones, and it is the one set in stone ritual that I have each morning - there is no book reading before I have my coffee in my hand. Stella gets me up as early as 5:15 and heads straight for the couch saying "book. book" and "yap.yap" and I am always insistent that "no, Mommy's coffee first". I guess I need to somehow develop other very strict morning rituals: like one book after I make coffee and then we exercise. one book after exercise and then I shower. one book after getting dressed and I make food plans for the day.

So the middle part of the morning was good, but then sadly the 5:15 waker fell asleep in the car on the way home from circus class (at noon) and I decided to try transferring her - something we haven't done in weeks, and even though I was very specific and clear with Sophia about being quiet and in what order everything was happening, she whined very loudly about being thirsty right when I was unstrapping Stella from the car. Bye bye nap. And they were both badly behaved at lunch. I tried to put Stella down after she (barely) ate lunch, and she never even remotely looked like she was going to nap. So I made a plan for the afternoon (get all the laundry done and folded AND clean the kitchen) and in all of that there were some major fights - one of which happened when I was in the basement and when I came up Sophia actually ran away clueing me in that she had done something very bad. She didn't want to tell me what had happened so I gave her a timeout until she was ready to tell me and it took SOOOOO much coaxing to get it out of her. I had to invoke Santa's name. Then I told her how it was really good that she had told me, even if what she had done was bad it was really good she told me - and I told her Santa probably wasn't bringing rocks for her now. [she took Stella's puzzle, yelled at her (I mean YELLED at her) and hit Stella with the -wooden- puzzle]

And then we went to an in-store music event at dinner time, ha ha ha ha ha. Not good for their eating or sleeping but fun. I mean, we were home by 7:45, but Stella was all out of sorts and LOST IT when it was pajama time (again, Maia not so good at distraction or redirecting). sigh
We will figure this out.

3 Comments:

At 5:21 AM, Blogger Prasti said...

redirecting is challenging sometimes. i need to work on more patience so that i can redirect better (aaron seems better at it than i am).

stella wanting to read books after she wakes up sounds like emma. first thing she asks when she wakes is to read a book. if i let her, she would probably ask to read 5 books-LOL!

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Maia LeDoux said...

Sophia and Stella would have me on the couch reading books with them all morning if they had their way. NOW, don't get me wrong, I think this is GREAT - except there is no one else in the kitchen making breakfast, lunch and dinner and doing the laundry and going to work for me - aie! I suppose it doesn't help that we go to the library about every other week and come home with 20 books for them ON TOP of the 3'x3' bookshelf full of books that they already have. hmmm...

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Mink said...

i have a hard time redirecting mainly because Gianna does not easily respond to be redirected. Nico does respond though and Steve is very good at it, he even goes as far as performing magic tricks, I'm learning to be more chill from him, i also don't plan a whole bunch for the kids right now.
my daygoes something like this
kids at school from 9-12
after school we play in the yard for a bit or go right in and have lunch depending on kids moods
sometimes a movie, most days i should say, then we play somewhere either in the house or outside.
now and then i lay down with Nico in my bed while G plays in her room to get him to nap.
then snack more playing, drawing whatever, sometimes a playdate.
or trip to library/park
dinner
20 miutes of playing then bedtime ritual that takes over an hour sometimes with all the trips to the bathroom.
i Don't know why i'm telling you my whole day just figured maybe It helps you to know your not in this alone. there are many days i openly state how much i hate domestic chores...cooking/cleaning/laundry but i love these little kids so much they are worth the boring parts.
ok and breaking up fights does suck a bit, but they both seem to be improving on the sharing thing.
i love you Maia

oh yeah and obsessive book interest pays off bigtime when they know how to read to themselves, it will then become your art time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home