mom-brain
i keep thinking about writing a blog post about what it is like to be inside my head, about how amazingly difficult it is to shut off the multi-tasking brain that has taken over after becoming a mom, but the sad sad truth is that I can never sit here long enough to formulate more than 2 sentences on one topic so ... there it is.
at the playground today stella was waiting at the top of a funky ladder while phia had her turn going down and as soon as phia's feet hit the astroturf some little girl whizzed in and began to climb up. I got down on her level and told her that Stella had been waiting for her turn and the girl completely ignored me. So I said, more firmly, that she needed to wait because it was someone else's turn. Again, no acknowledgment. By the time she got to the top there was phia waiting to come down again and she and stella were inadvertently making a little wall, blocking the path for the rude child, who then pushed right through them! I was wondering where in heaven her mom was, and then realized that it didn't even matter, the mom wouldn't probably care! Any mom who let's their 3-4 year old child go completely unsupervised on any playground (this was a very small one admittedly) is letting the Lord of the Flies behaviors begin. AND THEN I REALIZED THAT, ohmigod, IF THIS IS WHAT MOST PARENTS ARE DOING (and it feels like this so often) THEN I AM COMPLETELY FUCKING OVER MY CHILDREN BY NOT LETTING THEM DO WHAT THEY WANT AND PUSH AND SHOVE etc etc. Oh sigh. Please tell me that most parents are teaching manners, please oh please oh please oh please.

5 Comments:
I don't understand how you are fucking over your children by NOT being like the neglecting moms... you are turning them into decent human beings instead of animals. Be proud of that!
It seems to me (non-parent that I am) that parenthood is a non-stop process of trying to make a decent human being. You have to repeat every lesson. Sometimes every day! I am genuinely impressed by those who undertake this. You go, Maia!
we're doing our best on our end :).
i wonder a/b some parents sometimes. i suppose if they're self-absorbed then that's probably a behavior that will be passed on to their kids.
Can I add to the WTF at the playground - parents who let their huge kids play and go crazy on the "baby" playscapes (designed for 2-5 year olds). These kids continually run without looking where they are going and come very close to trampling the little ones who are trying to enjoy themselves and explore their little worlds. Again, where are these kids parents. Why don't they have to follow the rules or at least be decent human beans. ARGH - I need to stop now before I really get my ire up.
in short - teaching your kids to be respectful of the "rules" and other people is a good thing. No matter how much we think we are in the minority in that respect.
Hi Maia!
Jody was trying to figure out how to contact you and I did a search a here you are. Two beautiful daughters!!
I showed your graduation announcement to some new paper students this week.
Best!
Rebecca
This comment has been removed by the author.
Post a Comment
<< Home