Sophia & Stella Productions

For friends and family afar, a little blog about the kids and us.

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Summation: this week so far

Here are some shots from Tuesday. Tuesdays are a pretty mellow day for us - nothing official on our schedule except circus class, which is from 11-11:45. I knew I wanted to make empanadas that day so I made the dough in the early morning when the girls are very happy doing their own thing without me. Playing was going so well I made the filling too, well before we had to get going to class. On the way home from class we stopped at Whole Foods for a few items and had slices of pizza in their cafe. I think Sophia really enjoyed the experience because she leaned over and kissed me and said, "I love you Mama" out of the blue. When we got home the sun was still out and it felt very warm (50?) so after we put away the groceries we played outside in the backyard - alittle swinging, some sandbox time, and then the girls wanted to be on the deck. I knew I needed to start assembling the empanadas so I went inside to do this (the kitchen is right next to the back door that goes onto the deck) and they climbed and rolled and swept and then asked for our gigantic pile of Berenstain Bears books and sat reading them outside for quite some time. Fantasy moment - I had been trying to envision that ever since Stella was born and it came true! Shock and awe. So I assembled emapanadas to the throes of our itunes kids' music selections and I created quite a mess...


Sophia at one point told me that it was okay now for me to listen to the radio (NPR) because they were outside, but that when they came back in I would have to put the [kids'] music back on. "Oh, okay"
Stella simply said, "We outside, you inside" with a certain amount of condesention - I wasn't part of the cool crowd I guess.




Wednesday Sophia gets picked up and carpooled to preschool and I try to take a long walk with Stella in the jogging stroller. We were gone about 2 hours including a short trip to the grocery store and a short trip to the library so I think I walked far. It's so nice to get back to walking again. I wonder if I might ever find an inexpensive used double jogging stroller to do this with both of the girls. I think they would enjoy it immensely. About 10-15 minutes walk from our house is a great path called the Burke Gilman trail that goes alongside Lake Washington. It's very peaceful and the houses are interesting and you can see mountains on clear days and ducks and dogs and such, and in one direction you can get to a small playground and very small beach and wading pool. I like Wednesday mornings.

Thursday (today) was full of unexpected: I was on-call to work at preschool if another parent was sick and of course I got called. My mom was prepared to watch Stella so I was bringing her to my mom's when I got a second call asking if I could stay after preschool and be a parent in charge of kids while the board had a meeting (this was the job of the sick parent). My mom was fine with Stella staying longer so I said yes, but I didn't have a lunch packed for either Sophia or I and I felt a little frazzled because I didn't have any time to remedy the situation. I did however have a giant sippy cup of milk for her and car-snacks (wheat thins, oat squares cereal, strawberry breakfast bars etc) and another parent packed some extra items for Sophia. So after preschool half the kids went home and half the kids sat down to eat their lunches, or rather not eat their lunches but talk about what eachother has. I went to the fridge to get Sophia's milk and it was GONE! Now this fridge has about 4 items in it and I couldn't fathom where it was and finally I had to conclude that someone took it (and was not present to return it) and boy did that make me mad. I felt like I had taken on all kinds of extra duties that were not mine and then someone robs my child of her overpriced organic tasty milk. It was a case for Sam and Dudley the great detectives (R. Scarry). Sigh. Has anyone else spent a full day with 15 3-year olds? It's tiring. But it also makes me appreciate my kids soooooo much.





Here's to a quiet weekend. Maybe I can get some house organization done - that always help me to feel better.

3 Comments:

At 5:24 AM, Blogger Prasti said...

how fun to be able to watch the girls enjoy themselves in the backyard like that. definitely something i appreciate too.

my toddler class is only an hour/week and it makes me tired...sometimes it only takes 1 or 2 out of the group to really wear you out!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Kiri said...

Wow. That was really beautiful. A slice of the life of Maia. Complete with the ups and downs. I love that you have reached the stage of having the kids happily playing by themselves.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Mink said...

er jealous of your green grass and somewhat warm weather, i see they are not wearing heavy coats. We have so much snow and no sign of spring weather for a while. Send me your mailing address again Maia, i have a package for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home