Sophia & Stella Productions

For friends and family afar, a little blog about the kids and us.

Friday, July 20, 2007

maia's brain has a glimmer of smarts


ok - I have a moment during the day to write BECAUSE BOTH KIDS ARE NAPPING IN THEIR ROOM!!!
I didn't think this could happen. Jeff encouraged me to make it work. I guess Sophia had a MELTDOWN with my mom last night when I was at work, and she (sophia, not my mom) fell asleep face down on her rug after the fit. I am sure that some of it was being low blood sugar, but obviously she needed a nap... just not at 6pm.
Anyway, I am trying to revise our day. It's primarily how I approach it that needs revising. I know I know - I have said this over and over again... and indeed I have to revise our day over and over again because they are changing all the time!
I am trying to get my brain to understand how to better approach potential problem spots with Sophia, because I am just a dunce when it comes to re-directing her, or maknig something dull seem fun. I am of the school that believes in LET'S JUST GET THIS DONE instead of let's make this fun. What a yucky school to be from!
So this morning we had to go to Whole Foods AGAIN (we were there yesterday) because I bought ground coffee instead of whole bean (duh) and instead of feeling tortured by it all I decided to make it a short and fun trip, with Sophia on her own feet instead of trapped in a shopping cart (and Stella in the bjorn - my other great discovery is that I can actually shop if I put her in there, as opposed to leaving her in the car seat). We exchanged the coffee and bought 2 bananas and I had her pick a treat from the bakery (she picked bagel - a "Zen" bagel which unbeknownst to me was SPICY!! poor kid). She was great - and when we got into a line and she had to wait she was wonderful and I was trying really hard to engage her to keep her amused and a woman ahead of us first said, "What a beautiful family," and when she left she said, "You are a really good mom" (which makes me choke up thinking about it). Of course all I could think about were all the other times when I was not such a good mom, being impatient or tired or stressed and how sad it was that I let myself get in the not-so-good-mom place. I have to admit that having 2 kids definitely highlights how hard it can be to be that great mom, always patient and making even the banal interesting and fun. It seemed hard when it was just Sophia, but man oh man that was EASY compared to having the 2. But having the 2 is so amazing. I love watching them interact, how Stella's face just lights up with the biggest smile when she sees Sophia and how Sophia loves to play with her in the "swing" (Jumperoo). There's no way I would not choose to have the 2, though of course I miss having one on one time. More incentive than ever to encourage naps.

Still struggling with the menu planning, especially now that Wednesdays and Thursdays require planned snacks AND dinners - for my mom to administer so they need to be simple to cook (gotta make it as easy as possible since dinnertime can be meltdown time) as well as planning my meals to bring to work. Ugh. In fact, i think I need to start a notebook for it all!

OK gotta go slug more water to get my milk production up, and we have Stella's six month check up in an hour... shots, yuck.

(and she's getting better and better at sitting alone, and she's starting to learn how to launch herself forward from being on hands and knees, the precursor to crawling - GO STELLA!)

2 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Mink said...

h Maia, you know I hear ya, I have scolded myself before for just not being more fun, I still can't figure out how to make pooping in the potty sound better than in your diaper.

the grocery store thing I am just finally getting better at I get the car cart and they both go in it, as soon as theres any sign of boredom I give them each a juice and than right before the checkout I get them each a bagel, boy that helps and the check out goes better here anyway because unlike in Hoboken they bag your stuff and fast.

and your right about the 2 thing being really great, although difficult, today Nico took his first steps and Gigi 's whole face lit up and she was saying how proud she was of him and she kept asking him to do it again. tears tears

push the nap push the nap!!!!!!

and you are a great mom, can't wait until next spring when we can visit you and have some kid chaos

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Mink said...

you know the car cart with the little car in front of the cart, try it for both when Stella is 13 months or so, I just put Nico in it for the first time, he loves the steering wheel, It was my best shopping trip ever.no whining occurred.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home