Sophia & Stella Productions

For friends and family afar, a little blog about the kids and us.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

a sudden difficult spell

Why is loving and doing the right thing so hard sometimes?
We're talking sleep again here.
At the moment, 2:39pm, Stella is awake in the swing with only a handful of tiny catnaps under her belt for the day. That girl needs a NAP. I had nursed her to sleep (for the umpteenth time today) and was asleep myself, holding her warm and wonderful little chunky body in my arms, when NPR played a sudden loud bit of music and she woke up. I was far too groggy to pull out the boob again, and besides - boobs are for food, not for sleep!!!! So into the swing she went. Crying followed. I worry that she will get cold (with Sophia having been a warm weather baby we don't have an abundance of long sleeved tiny baby clothes) and yet if I turn up the heat then Sophia, already prone to sweat-lodge type naps in her bed, will roast and wake up early and even crankier than ever (yesterday was A BAD BAD BAD nap wakeup).

Sigh.
Did I mention being tired? I fell asleep at 9:30 last night while trying to watch a movie with Jeff. Stela was up at 12:15 and twice in the 4-5 hour and then I had a snatch of sleep before Sophia tried to be awake at 5:30 and then an hour later she woke up again, and although Jeff got up with her she was just loud enough in our small small house to get both Stella and I up too. And we're going out tonight on a date, which is also an attempt to remind the Tin Hat that they should find shifts for me again because "Hey look! I'm a normal adult again! I can stay up late! I can leave the house!" which all seems like a lie when I fall asleep in the car on the way home at 11 after one beer.

So anyway, I am face with the sleep issue all over again. Stella is getting old enough to start some sleep training, and she has completely lost the ability to put herself to sleep - all sleep is boob sleep for her, and even the luxurious boob sleep inducement doesn't keep her asleep. I must harden my heart to her crying. I must somehow believe that she IS ok, just cranky that her warm boob isn't right there when she wants it. I do not want another child who won't nap. I do not want to rely on the car or the stroller or the boob.

Send advice, send consolations, send chocolate because somehow we are out.

2 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger Mink said...

I wrote this long thing and lost it, hate that.

anyway we will have lives again Maia, I'm in Syracuse and somehow I ended up nursing Nico 2-3 times a night this whole past week because we are all sleeping in one bed. hes in for a rude awakening when we get back to jersey tomorrow, that boy is going back in his crib.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Prasti said...

just keep thinking that you're helping her "learn" to fall asleep on her own when she's crying because your boob is not there to help her fall asleep all the time. i know it's not easy :(.

i hated the teaching process w/ emma, and being so rigid with making sure we're home on time for her naps. but even aaron has admitted that it was worth it bcs. we can just put her down for sleepy time and having a non-routine day or two doesn't put her over the edge & she recovers quickly. hang in there!

re: the "noise" factor in your house awakening stella, we use a cd that plays a constant background noise when emma sleeps to block out outside noise. our house is VERY creaky and it is also very difficult to keep a 9 year old boy *quiet* for an hour or so. anyway, it seems to be working okay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home